SMA offers group classes only. In fairness to all students, we will determine if a student is ready to participate in classes.
1. All prospective students are required to do a trial class to ensure students are ready to participate fully in classes
2. Student must be able to enter and stay in the training area independently - without parental support
3. Student must be able to pay attention (within reasonable limits for their age) during the 30 minute class
4. Student must be able to follow basic directions (with teacher support within reason)
5. As these are group classes, student must be able to work co-cooperatively with instructors and other students in the class
6. Students must demonstrate respectful behavior to other students, instructors, assistants and staff
7. Student must be fully potty trained
What would qualify as “not ready”
1. A student that cannot attend without parental intervention/support
2. A student that requires dedicated supervision by an SMA instructor will be deemed “not ready” (for example - student requires 1 on 1 support).
3. A student that has considerable difficulty following instructions and staying with the class
4. A student who continually wanders off during instructions/activities
5. A student who acts inappropriately (for example but not limited to - hitting /pushing/causing bodily harm to other students, yelling, disrespect towards instructors/assistants)
6. Student demonstrates disruptive behavior that impacts other students in the class
7. A student who is not fully potty trained
If a student is determined “not ready” for participation, the student is invited to come back at a later date (to be decided based on our assessment - for example - next session, or 6 months). Do not be discouraged. This can be a common occurrence with younger students especially those who have not reached Kindergarten age. At SMA, we want our students to love the martial arts. We want their experience here to be fun and educational. In our combined 45+ years experience coaching, we have found that pushing/forcing kids to participate when they are not ready only causes fear and apprehension. A situation we want to avoid at all costs. We are wholly dedicated to the success of all our students. We work with parents to personalize solutions for each individual student. We are always open to respectful, constructive conversation with parents/guardians either by email or in person. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly with any questions or concerns.
• Summit Martial Arts reserves the right to cancel any taekwondo program with insufficient registration one week prior to program start date. If SMA cancels your class due to enrollment or scheduling issues, we will transfer you to the next available class of your choice. If we cannot find a convenient alternative option, you will receive a full refund with no additional administrative fees.
• Cancellation of a registration is required a minimum of 7 days prior to classes commencing to receive a full refund (less a $30 admin fee per cancellation) or a full credit can be applied to your account for future use. Cancellations received less than 7 days prior to class commencing will receive a 50% refund (less a $30 admin fee per cancellation).
• After your 1st class, Summit Martial Arts maintains a NO REFUND policy on all of our fees in order to ensure proper safety and staffing for our classes.
• If your child is deemed by instructors as "not ready" for participation in our programs, a credit at the pro-rated amount will be applied to your account for future use. There are no cash refunds.
• After the first class of the session, refunds are issued for medical reasons only and a medical certificate or doctor’s note must be provided. Medical cancellations will receive a pro-rated refund (less a $30 administration fee per cancelation) or a pro-rated credit can be applied to your account for future use.
• Class change/transfers are based on availability and must be approved by SMA Management. Please contact us for more information.
• There are no refunds or make up classes for a missed class or vacations. To cancel, you must call and speak to a Summit Martial Arts staff (cancellations will not be accepted by leaving a voicemail).
If your desired class is full, please add yourself to the waitlist. If an open spot becomes available, we will contact those on the waitlist in priority order based on the day and time they were added. If an open spot becomes available, individuals will be contacted by phone and email and given 24 hours to accept the open spot before we move to the next participant on the list.
Due to program demand and high waitlist volumes, once a waitlisted participant has been offered an open spot in one of our programs, they will be removed from all other waitlists. Please only waitlist for programs that you highly desire and that will fit your schedule.